Overthinking this shoe thing.

So to begin: I am an equipment nut that is slowly transitioning from an obsession with golf equipment (been playing for 20 years, since I was a little kid) to an obsession with running shoes.
I tend to overthink the simplest choices due to extensive research and the amount of information that is out there on any given subject. 
I started running about 3 years ago, and a 2 miles was a big deal for me. 2 years ago I ran my first 5k and that year I ran in 3 other 5k races and 2 5 mile races. Last year I completed 2 half marathons, 3 5k races, 2 5 mile races, and 1 10k. This year I am starting my season with my first full marathon.
I have always loved shoes and love learning about them but I am sort of a "bargain hunter" and I will extensively look for the best prices on any pair of shoes that I buy. Being that I am a large guy (6'6, 220 lbs.) it has been hard to find shoes in my size, (14) so I have been buying things based on reviews and I went once to get fitted for shoes. The shoes I got fitted for were by far the worst shoes I have bought. They were the Asics Gel Fortitude 5 in 14 EE. I didnt like the width of the shoes (felt sloppy) and they were the least flexible shoes I have owned, which I felt slowed me down significantly. I found out that I have high arches, so it makes sense that a stiff shoe doesn't work for me. The other shoes I bought were the PUMA Faas 500, which I liked due to the low weight and flexibility but they broke down quickly, the Nike Lunarglide 4 which was much too tight and pointy in the toebox but I liked the lunarlon, which felt springy, but maybe a bit too springy. My favorite shoes by a landslide have been the Asics Gel Nimbus 14 which I bought on sale because they had them in the my size in the "rainbow" colorway.
So recently I got fitted again for shoes and I went with the NB 1080 v3 which was okay but they again fitted me in the EE width, which I decided to trust. Horrible mistake. I had to return them because every time I ran I got unbearable burning sensation on the bottom of my right foot. I think the shoe is just much too wide in the toe box and was creating excess friction ( my right foot is a little smaller than my left foot, plus I am more active with my right foot when i run). My question is this...what type of shoe is good for someone training for a marathon, with high arches, who is heavy, who lands on the forefoot, who likes a soft shoe but isnt mushy, and is lightweight enough to actually run the race in? I have a pair of vibram five fingers that was instrumental last year in helping me learn to become a forefoot striker, but I am not a huge fan of having no padding under my feet. When I returned my shoes I requested a pair of Asics Kayano 19 to try, do you think these will be a good fit for me? 

Comments

• "My favorite shoes by a landslide have been the Asics Gel Nimbus 14" I think this is the biggest clue and perhaps the answer to your question. The Nimbus is a neutral shoe, the Kayano a heavy stability shoe, so I would probably not go there. Either get another Nimbus, or maybe try something like the Nike Pegasus. Peg is soft in the heel, better fit on me than the Lunarglide. If you have a Nike Outlet nearby they usually have the prior model Peg for cheap.