Why am I blistering in my Go Run 2s and Pure Drifts?
  • I'd put about 250 miles on my Pure Connects (v1) and decided to try some other offerings in a minimal style. I picked up some Pure Drifts and Skechers Go Run 2s over the holidays and have put roughly 20 miles on each. My thoughts out of the box were that I loved them both (for different reasons), but now all of a sudden I'm getting hotspots and hotspots in them.

With the Pure Drifts, it's only on the edge of my foot behind the big toe. Pretty sure it's the toe box ridge problem described by many on this site. Putting the sockliner in seems to make it a bit better, but not much. It's only on my left foot - right foot is fine.

With the Go Run 2s, I'm feeling hotspots on both feet on the sides of my big toes, where I already have pretty tough callouses so I'm surprised it's wearing on me there.

My feet are more on the narrow side. I ran in the Pure Connect v1s and Saucony Kinvara 3s (which i know are both more on the narrow side) and am wondering if maybe my new shoes have too much room in the forefoot and I'm sliding aroudn too much in there?

• Could be too much movement. Try throwing the Kinvara 3 insole into the GR2 and see if it makes a difference.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Look for stray, rough seams or material overlays inside the shoe. (Your feet aren't identical, and you may just be hitting a seam hard with that foot. )

Use a course nail file to smooth down the offending seam, or material. This is a great way to save an otherwise pleasing pair of shoes.

Note: unless an uninterested 3rd party (pick a non-runner) can see an obvious difference in assembly between the shoes, it's not a defect.

As for the toes part, this might be hard to reach. Might I suggest ensuring a minimal amount of shearing motion by securing the shoe to each foot at the base of the ankles with a specific lacing technique?

Create a back loop between the second-to-last and the final laceholes on the same side of the shoe. With the remaining laces now protruding from the INSIDES of the upper, bring each lace over through its opposing loop.

You'll find that when you snug the laces so that the loops lat flat, the shoe feels like it's giving you a firm handshake without strangling you. This teva-like grip will catch you at the ankle BEFORE you build up enough momentum to slide inside the shoe -- and before you would rub with force alongside the toes.

It may sound cheesy, but a well-secured -- not to be confused with "tight" -- shoe can feel and behave completely differently than it was before you adjusted it.

A visual demonstration works well; anyone on staff at real running store should be able to show this to you inside of a minute.

Hope these ideas help out!

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android