Skora Phase 150mi Wear Update

edited January 1 in Other Brands
Thought you guys would like to see these...more here

Left:

Right:

Comments

• What are your thoughts on that wear? I've not put too many miles in a single pair of Phase, maybe 325. Just passed 1000 in SKORA's new shoe for 2014, last week though :)

Kyle @ SKORA
  • edited January 2
    Oh hey, Kyle!  Wondered when you'd end up here :-)

One thought for sure: my left foot problems are killing shoes a lot faster than I'd like (which is why I'm not in a hurry to pay lots of money for shoes that pretty much last the same no matter what I buy).  The base of my big toe never really reaches the ground without a lot of over-pronation (this is the literal definition, as it causes issues further up to my knee and hip), and I'm not sure what to do about it.

In general, the shoes are wearing about as well as I'd have hoped.  The Core might do better, since it has a carbon rubber metatarsal pad instead of the IBR of the Phase.  It's pretty obvious that I'm primarily a forefoot runner.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • I should add that I've got some dull soreness at the heads of my 4th and 5th metatarsals, which, to no one's surprise, is where I've worn the left shoe completely smooth just aft of the metatarsal pad.
  • BTW, @kjkranz...were these the shoes you were referring to?
  • Yeah the Core, with the higher density EVA section, will likely be more durable. And the Fit, that's the one!

• Oh, so that's EVA, and not rubber on the black portions of the Core's outsole?

The Fit has me intrigued.  It looks like it might be up my alley!

As for my Phases, I'll be surprised if I get much past 300mi wear on them.  That wouldn't be horrible considering I barely get there on most shoes I've ever run in, but a little disappointing, too.
  • Well, EVA is rubber ;)

The black section is EVA, while the rest of the outsole is Injected Blown Rubber (IBR). Lighter, more flexible, but not as durable. 
  • Cool.  So the Fit will be available next month?
  • And also...any thoughts on the wear from the forum at large?
  • Nice detail in those photos, Bryan! I've put a little over 250 miles on my Phases so far. And, they have just a tad more wear than yours do in certain spots, while yours have a tad more wear than mine do in other spots. Funny how that happens from runner to runner. I imagine I'll wear these for at least another 250 miles unless the shoe fairy drops too many amazing replacement shoes on my doorstep in the near future.

It's interesting to see how the outsole of the Phase wears away, because there are so many telling factors to watch, what with each lug and indentation seemingly so unique in the design. 

Practically speaking, I'm not really concerned about the wear of the Phase's sole, because there is no midsole to compress over time; which would, thereby, make your foot land all wonky when running after so many miles. Plus, I use the Phase as a pavement shoe, which doesn't require a ton of traction. In my experience with IBR outsoles, the worn rubber doesn't turn into a prohibitively slick surface after the outer-most layer gives way. It remains somewhat porous-like and allows for enough friction to function well for running on as long as there aren't any holes in the outsole. 'Course, you'd note the loss of grip on anything soft once this happens. But, pavement's predictability really is a wonderful thing in such cases. 

So, if the "lugs" wear down to nothing, I imagine I'd still be running in these shoes. But, that's not going to stop me from shopping for a new pair as soon as my current ones look like too old.
  • Thank you for the thoughts, Ashwyn!

So this looks pretty average?  Left foot is definitely the decider when it comes to shoe wear.