• I have been running in the Mizuno wave sayonara for about 3 months and im not satisfied .
    im looking to purchase new shoes, my feet have a low arch i overpronate and i heel strike.
    I will use the shoes to run anything from 5k to a marathon
    i have been looking at : New Balance  M890 v4,Saucony Kinvara 4/3,Adidas boost and newtons .
    any suggestions?

• Hi AlexRun21, 

I just read your question regarding new shoes for your feet condition and I have found the that the New Balance Mr 1400 running shoe met your condition.  check it out: http://top-running-shoes-review.com/new-balance-men-mr-1400/
  • I think Pete is about to finish a review of the 890's soon if you want to wait for that...
  • What don't you like about the Sayonara? That might help in giving a suggestion. Also, do you have wide feet? Prefer a softer or firmer sole?
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Take your shoes and yourself to a local independent running store. No one can answer your question without seeing:
    1. You, in motion. 2. Your shoes, after having taken the stresses of said motion over time.

[NB: An ambitious training plan can smash a pair of shoes past its useful life over 3 months. Take care when attributing causes and effects. It might simply be time for a refresh.]

Read on if they never quite felt right from day one.

Frustrating as it might be to acknowledge, "reviews", even by wonderfully knowledgeable authors, are at best useful for general obvious characteristics. What really counts is the way you run in a shoe. You are a case study of one.

Arming you with fundamentals is where your local running store excels. But coupling these principles with your own training behavior is uniquely your task. Taking a blind recommendation without a test drive is a great way to stumble into a less than stellar shoe experience.

Can you get lucky with a recommendation? Sure. Almost ALL running shoes are great for SOMEONE's feet -- and potentially awful for someone else's. A review might coincide with how a shoe behaves for you. But without learning to sound this out for yourself, and to trust your own senses, you'll often miss many other great possibilities that your local running gurus have in stock.

Learning to project your past experiences to anticipate how any new shoe might serve you throughout its life is one of your tasks as runner. There are no shortcuts. And this is why we run.

Here's to your future success!

• That's all well and good provided your local running store is staffed by people who know what they are talking about, are knowledgeable about the biomechanics of running, and don't cling to old, out-dated paradigms (pronation control). Some are good, some are not.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • Very true. I should have been more specific: if your local place is NOT so staffed, it's not a real running store. Move on, and find one. (You will have better luck most often with independent, as opposed to franchised stores. However, occasionally a franchisee will have the right approach, so be open.)

Here are 4 key indicators (beyond being staffed by RUNNERS).
    A real running store will:
    1. Not be afraid to strongly discourage you from a shoe that simply catches your eye, or your "new thing" radar.
    2. Have severe misgivings about letting you buy ANY shoe without running at least 200 meters in it.
    3. Counsel you that most often, the most expensive shoe is NOT the best for you. (Sometimes, maybe every 5 years or so, it may be.) And they'll bring you out one to compare anyway, so that you can feel for yourself which shoe is, in fact, "you".
    4. NEVER suggest (or let you suggest) a larger size when you really need a wider one -- and they will explain WHY, and tell you where to find what you need if they don't have and/or can't get it.

In short, if you don't immediately get the vibe that they care more about your health and progress than about today's receipts, you're not in a real running store.

Yes, they are hard to find. But the search and subsequent drive is well worth it.

But never lose sight of this: these runners ALL had to start as newbies. They aquired their expertise mostly the old-fashioned way: trial, error and notation of results. You too can learn what you need to know to keep yourself moving forward.

And there's nothing more rewarding than knowing that you've gained enough skill to trust your own judgement.
  • Good list! I'd add:

5. Won't try to push high-margin insoles that you don't need on you.
    6. Won't eyeball you walking running across the store and tell you that you overpronate and thus need support/motion control.
    7. Won't use your static arch height to assign you a shoe from the neutral/stability/motion control categories.
    8. Have staff that can have a good conversation with you about your training habits, what you do/don't like about your current shoes (if not a new runner), and what your past injury history is.
    9. Will have staff that are shoe geeks and have personally run in a lot of the shoes that they sell.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android