Comparison of The Instinct and Torin?

edited March 2013 in Altra
Has anyone run in both shoes?  Which would you prefer for low miles?  For the record, I'm about 6'1" 180lbs.

Comments

• Better late than never.  Right?

Anyway, I have just recently started to compare the Instinct with the Torin.  

Toebox.  The Instinct has a great toebox.  Wide, spacious.  I just spread out.  My Instincts are size 11.5.  So I bought a pair of 11.5 Torin.  Disaster.  Tight, narrow.  After I finished the first run, the side of my big toe hurt.  So I took my trusty razor knife and *ventilated* the hard material along the side of the big toe.  Much better.  The Torin improved to acceptable.  But nothing like the spacious Instincts.  

Sizing.  If I get another pair of Torin I will go up a full size and get 12.5.  Really strange.  It is the same company.  

Cushion.  The Torin is very comfy, but you lose some ground-feel.  The Instinct is adequate for my mid-foot strike.  Maybe a little more heel cushion would be nice on the Instinct, but nothing hurts.  

Weight.  I was surprised to see that on my scale the Torin is about 0.5 oz lighter.  I had expected that the thicker sole would make it heavier.  

For low miles, I would use Instinct.

Mike

• The sizing doesn't surprise me.  The Instinct and The One are also sized differently.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • The Torin has a smaller toe box?  I thought all Altra's had super wide toe boxes?  Not true?

• The Torin has rigid material surrounding the toebox.  It is very different from the Instinct. 
  • I haven't run in the Instinct, so I can't compare, but I find that my Torin has a spacious toe box and I don't have any rubbing on my pinky toe. This has been a problem for me in shoes like the Kinvara, so I was happy about it. I also have the same size 13 that I wear in other shoes (again no comparison with the Instinct).

I agree that you lose some ground feel in the Torin, but I actually like it when I use them for more of a recovery run.

I am also interested in trying the Instinct as a faster shoe.

• Heard the Torin has a lot of heel slippage is this true 
  • I have about 100 miles on my Torin's including one soggy and cold 10 mile run. No noticeable heal slippage.