New Balance Minimus MT10 Leather Review

edited January 2013 in New Balance
I just bought a pair of these to replace a pair of old Merell casual shoes I wore at work:

(pic and earlier review courtesy of BirthdayShoes)

I won't be running in them, but I thought a minimal casual shoe review would be of use to folks here.

Comments

• Thanks Brian, would not mind a pair of leather MT10's, as I run everywhere and on any surface in the normal MT10's! The usual problem being no availability in Europe, as far as I know any way. Should probably move to Boulder, CO instead and stop the complaining...
  • Finally got my pair in today.  Stylin'!

Here's the medial side:

Without the jeans in place:

Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Nice. I ran across some of these the other day. Leather seemed pretty soft.
  • It really is!  It almost feels like a fabric more than leather.  Very soft.

For reference, I stuck with my running shoe size (used for both my Bare Access 2's and my old Mirage 2's) and got a size 11.5.  My toes, if I raised them, come just in front of the toebox stitch.  In other words, a pretty good fit.

I'll let you know after my first day with them at work tomorrow!
  • Nice looking shoe!

• edited February 2013
    I've worn them for about a week now, and have the following observations:

1.) For me, the 11.5 was a great choice in size.  11.5 works well for me in Merrells, too.
    2.) The midsole felt dead at first, but seems to have softened a little.  I'm really feeling comfortable!
    3.) Leather upper feels soft with no hotspots on sockless feet.
    4.) With socks, the shoes are as comfy as you might expect--which is to say, good.  Despite sizing them for sockless wear, putting on a pair of average thickness dress casual socks did not leave me feeling scrunched.

Several complaints:

1.) Laces are too long.  I haven't tripped over them or pulled them out, but they could be a tad shorter.
    2.) My big toe has been a little sensitive for some reason, and it caused me to notice the seam for the upper and the footbed does not run along the edge of the shoe.  Rather, it runs in a way such that my big toes sit right on top of it.  I don't notice it on my left foot, but it's definitely there.
    3.) I wish I had a pair of the brown ones, too.  Grey goes with everything, but I've been wearing brown shoes to work and church for almost my entire career, lol

In short, fit has been very good, ride comfort as good or better than any other casual shoe I've ever worn, and they look cool to boot.  I still kind of wish I'd at least been able to try on the Stem/Lemings, but I HIGHLY recommend these shoes to anyone looking for something casual.

• Merrell just came out with the Tour Glove, looks like another decent casual leather option: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-tour-glove-espresso
  • It has the same outsole as the Edge Glove, by the looks of it.

Waiting for Leming/Stem to come out with their leather shoe!
  • More pictures for those who are curious.  Took some pics next to my old Merrell casual shoes:

imageimage