Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

DISCLOSURE
VigLink badge

The One

edited January 2013 in Altra
Oh man...I am SOOOOO looking forward to trying this shoe.  4mm more stack height than my BA2's with Altra's roomy platform.  Could be perfect for my needs.

Here's Running Warehouse's sneak peek.

Comments

• It looks really nice, but it surprises me somewhat to learn that it has a stack height of 18mm, 2mm more than the Instinct 1.5. I had the impression that this was going to be a "racing flat" and therefore a little lower. Anyway, Altra is not distributing to Europe as yet, so I won't be able to try either model until they do :(
  • Now that you mention it, that is a surprise considering that this is supposed to be a lighter show than the Instinct.  I really, really, really hope that the outsole isn't all blown rubber to keep the weight down...
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Well, they would have to save that 1.5 oz on something, so it's either on the upper or on a less dense foam in the sole. Still it is by no means ultra light, so it should provide ample cushioning and durability. I think :)
  • Looking at the comments on RW, it appears that Altra measures things differently, so it's quite possible that its stack height is lower than the Instinct.
  • Checking back, Altra says that by their measurements, it's 18mm.  Running Warehouse says that puts it 4mm under the stack height of The Instinct 1.5.

Either way, still really excited about this shoe.  Half tempted to buy an old pair of Instincts since they're cheap now.

• Well that certainly makes more sense! Also noted in the guest post about the Torin that there is a lot of confusion regarding Altra's stack height measurements, but that seems to have been solved now.

Sooo, come March, will you get me a pair and send them to me in Sweden? ;)
  • lol...I have to get a pair for myself first.
  • No worries, Altra will hopefully get distribution in Europe this year! How much they will cost is a subject for a different thread, I believe :)
  • I don't know with those Altra shoes man, they always look like they got A LOT of cushioning. Not my personal taste
  • I challenge you to try on a pair.  They're more thin than you think.  Honestly, I could use just a tad more cushioning than my BA2's to go longer than 6mi (even that was a stretch for me).
  • Yeah, I don't find them to be highly cushioned unless you look at the Torin. But we all have different preferences and tolerances I suppose.
  • Question for you, Pete..how do these compare to the BA2's in ride and flexibility?
  • Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Nice! Have you ordered yet?
  • I'm trying to talk myself out of it, lol.  The fact that I haven't run in two weeks (due to a bruised hamstring) has something to do with it.