Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

DISCLOSURE
VigLink badge

Merrell Bare Access 2 Review

123457»

Comments

• Less than a year ago, when I decided to get back to running seriously, I was weighing 165lbs.
  • I haven't weighed that much since I was 18 (though I'm hanging at 175lbs now).

Good on ya!
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)
  • Bryan nice review, i run with trail glove, before then switch to saucony viratta but i cant stand the narrow toebox.

now i'm looking for alternative for my viratta and this might be it.

• You're quite welcome.

My 250mi update should be coming up by next week :-)
  • edited August 2013
    ...And here it is.  I definitely have some left foot issues that I don't have on the right side!

Right shoe is on the left, Left on right, you get the idea:

Reversed this time (Left on left, Right on Right):

Now for the bad news...

It's worse on the left (the white spot in the tear is the tip of my finger!):

Thoughts? More pics here.

• hi bryan, i already bought mba2 i like this shoes better than virrata. but in first 10 mins arch support bothered me. 

But my right shoes back support is lower than left. i feel that the shoe can be easily remove.
  • Shoes are just shy of 300mi.  At this point, I'm just running in them to get them to that magic (and arbitrary) number.  Sadly, my feet must have widened, because my feet just aren't getting enough coverage by the midsole...
  • ZedZed
    edited October 2013
    Finally picked up the Bare Access 2 this past weekend now that the steep discounts are coming in with the arrival of the Bare Access 3 (the ongoing review in this thread helped convince me that it was my next shoe). Haven't really had time to run in them, although I've gotten in a quick sprint here and there and some walking. I like the fit of the upper despite the lack of the Omni-Fit lacing system.

As somebody who's been running almost exclusively in the Trail Glove and the GoBionic these past couple of years, though, the shoes' arch "bump" sort of bothered me, although I stopped noticing it after about ten minutes of walking around with them. Despite that one qualm, I'm real excited to run in them.
  • I had to give mine up after about 280mi.  The upper had ripped slightly and the midsole had broken down enough that I really needed to stop running in them.
  • Zed - Where did you find the BA2s on sale?  I've been contemplating a pair, like you, and now seems like a good time to maybe get a pair on the cheap.  Thanks!
  • ZedZed
    edited October 2013
    @Jake: I bought them in person in my town's Ronsons discount outlet (Ronsons is a British Columbia-based retailer) for $54.99 CAN + tax, which is over half-off the list price here. There's bound to be cheaper deals out there, particularly if you're buying online* and/or in the US, but I pulled the trigger on this purchase because I didn't want to deal with shipping or the hassle of returns in case the sizing was off.

* (the top search result with a casual, lazy attempt at Googling was for a pair selling for $87.99 on eBay, so maybe I'm wrong on that score)
  • Check box stores like Dick's Sporting Goods.  I think I saw a pair pretty cheap there a couple weeks ago.
  • Just posted this on another thread, but might be interesting for others as well.  I just ordered a pair of BA2s from 6pm.com for $40.  Seemed like they had a bunch of sizes, and had blue (my favorite), and two white versions at that price.  I like them as well, if not better, for casual wear as I do for running.