Transition program
  • I found this on a website what do you think?
    There will be 2 minimalist run sessions per week

Week 1 – 1) 10 x 30s run, 30s walk, 2) 5 x 1
    mins run, 1 min walk

Week 2 – 1) 7 x 1 min run, 1min walk, 2) 10 x 1
    mins run, 1 min walk

Week 3 – 1) 12 x 1min run, 1 min walk, 2) 6 x 2’
    run, 1’ walk

Week 4 – 1) 7 x 2’ run, 1’ walk, 2) 8 x 2’ run,
    1’ walk

Week 5 – 1) 5 x 3’ run, 1’ walk, 2) 6 x 3’ run,
    1’ walk OR 3 mins at the end of each run

Week 6 – 1) 7 x 3’ run, 1’ walk, 2) 5 x 4’ run,
    1’ walk OR 4 mins at the end of each run

Week 7 – 1) 6 x 4’ run, 1’ walk, 2) 5 x 5’ run,
    1’ walk OR 5 mins at the end of each run

Week 8 – 1) 4 x 6’ run, 2’ walk, 2) 4 x 7’ run,
    2’ walk OR 6 mins at the end of each run

Week 9 – 1) 4 x 8’ run, 2’ walk, 2) 3 x 9’ run,
    2’ walk OR 7 mins at the end of each run

Week 10 – 1) 3 x 10’ run, 2’ walk, 2) 2 x 13’
    run, 2’ walk OR 8 mins at the end of each run

Week 11 – 1) 2 x 15’ run, 2 min walk 2) 20’ run
    OR 9 mins at the end of each run

Week 12 – 1) 25 minute run, 2) 25 minute run OR
    10 mins at the end of each run

In the transition process should we be running in our "old shoes" (Mizuno creation) and running shod as well (to up the mileage?) OR should we solely stick just to transitional form running first?

does anyone have any other programs which they found effective? 

• hi, to get the transition pretty constant, barefoot at home of course helps, but yes, run with your normal shoes, and slowly phase them out, i mostly tell people to simply start with a mile if they are already avid runners, maybe half a mile to be safer, and every run just add another block, it's just much easier to keep track of...

also, it depends on if you're just going barefoot, or have minimal shoes, without you telling me i'll just say it, 

if you know your amount of miles on a run and know how far from your house you are or simply know how far a mile is or two, etc. depending on how much you can do, then you can either end your run barefoot or whatever, or just pick a spot to go if it's a good surface

it's pretty safe, and the people i've convinced have told me that they're having an easy time transitioning, 

i prefer them to have something at least zero drop if not barefoot, i just don't think the low drops cut it and delay the transition process
  • Hi Cody thanks for your reply..

I consider myself a regular runner, not avid, 2-3 hours a week. Each run is about 12-13 k before. (now i just need to do some conversion)

Im running a 4 mm drop (kinvara 3 & pureflow) im not going fully VFF. 

My goal: I just want to change my running from shod to midfoot to prevent overstriding shod hamstring injuries. 

and yes i track my running almost to a T with my Garmin and various routes that i have already prepared so i know at what point is what Km.

I am not sure how to phase them out you mean run my reg 12 k runs in my Creations and in the off time run my kinvaras until i reach about 12 k?
  • Yes, slowly build up mileage in the new shoes and decrease mileage in the old shoes. You can go by time, or by distance for adding in the new shoes - when I had my wife transition she started with a few minutes on the treadmill 3 times per week, then added a few minutes each week until she felt comfortable enough to move outside. But, she was transitioning into Vibram Fivefingers at the time so much more caution was warranted. To go into the Kinvara or Brooks will not be as dramatic a change, so you can probably be a bit more agressive - maybe a mile on your first run and listen to your body and go from there. Ease off if anything starts to feel painful - sore calves is pretty normal at first in a lower drop shoe, so you can expect a bit of that.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • oh, going from traditional to a transition shoe is even easier, doing your regular 12k runs starting off in your creations, and with about 1-2k left, you could just go barefoot, but since you're not, you can do 10k runs in your creations, then when you get home, you switch and go another 2k or so, maybe even less in your creations and more in the kinvaras since it's not a zero drop, so again, it's easier 
  • Thank you for the advice

would it not be better to start off with the kinvaras as the feet is less tired and your form is better instead of at the end here you begin to run sloppier and your tendons/muscles are a little more tired which could result in more injuries?
  • Depends on how tired you are - unless you are running to exhaustion a daily run is not likely to cause such big problems, and the disadvantage at the beginning is that you are not warmed up. Takes me a few miles before my form feels smooth.
    Helping runners run | Main Site: www.runblogger.com | Personal Site: www.theblogologist.com
  • I'm moving from Mirages to Bare Access 2's (4mm to 0mm drop).  Been at it for two weeks now.  I'm also trying to ramp my weekly mileage back up.

Should I be concentrating on running >3 times a week or running more for time?  I already wear the BA2's around quite a bit and am barefoot if I'm at the house.
    Socks are a scam. Just saying :-)

• Since you've been running in the Mirages for awhile, I'd say just go by feel. The BA2s have cushion, so won't be a huge shock to the system. Calf soreness likely the biggest potential issues.
  • That's kind of what I was thinking.  I've been advised to take it slow (<1mi run in the BA2's), but I don't know if I can do it.  I've run in them for now three weeks and my longest run has been almost 4.5mi.  I haven't even run in the Mirages once since.  Trying to get back into 5K shape, which I'm thinking means running 4-5 days a week.
  • Big thing to be wary of is foot and achilles pain. Any aches in those areas are a sign to ease off. Calf soreness is normal and you adapt to it.
  • Haven't had any of either foot or Achilles pain.  If that's the only basis I have to go on, I'd say my transition was pretty successful, and now I'm just trying to get mileage up.  Still having some of the same muscle problems that I had in my old (traditional) shoes that I'm trying to work out, tho.

Return to Runblogger.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Taptalk Forum Badge photo TapatalkForumBadge_zpse3ab33cd.png
Get Tapatalk for: iOS | Android