orthodics in running shoes?

edited September 2012 in Running Science
I recently transitioned to a more "minimalistic shoe" 

is there a point in putting in orthodics?

Isnt minimalistic running the whole idea of running without any sort of support?

I have never worn any orthodics in my running shoes before but since work provided it i might as well get one but what is you take on that?

Comments

• If you have never worn orthotics and haven't had any injury history, no need to use them in my opinion.
  • The more appropriate question would be if you need to keep your orthotics if you're going minimal.
  • I no longer use orthotics as a result of going minimal. The ones my podiatrist prescribed were hard carbon fiber ones with little to no flex.
  • I have worn orthotics in all my shoes for 30 years. But I'm biased, I'm a podiatrist board certified in orthopedics. The issue is not whether or not to wear a pair. For me it's how well they help support your foot type and maintain your form . I have very high arches and a shortened first metatarsal on my right foot. Without support I get  pain in the big toe joint because of the shorter lever action compared to the left side.

About cost, you cand go to almost any supermarket around here and Scholl's as a device that will indicate what your foot type is. From that you can purchase a stock product for $50. remember to remove the inserts the shoe manufacturers include.   Wear this type is your shoe. Within a week look at the wear pattern. Then you can deduce if you need spend more. Or get back to me and I'll give you a few inexpense tips how to do for yourself what a lab would charge big bucks to do.

BB
  • I'm curious what that would be.  Care to share?

• Take the stock device look at the wear pattern. Purchase adhesive felt or moleskin and pad around the depressions caused by wear in the device. I looked on youtube for a visual example, but couldn't find one. 

Google Langer labs and look at their catalog of devices, specifically pay attention to forefoot posts, etc.

I apologize for being vague. I had written a more thorough explanation. On re-reading it I realized it was more confusing than illuminating. 

BB.

• so where is the ideal spot to land on the forefoot then?

or where should the wear pattern be located or centralized in?
  • Wear pattern will vary from person to person, so there isn't necessarily an ideal. Do you have an injury history? If not, my rec would be to keep doing what you're doing and don't add anything to your shoes that might alter your success. If, on the other hand, you have problems, then some experimentation might be in order.