detailed review of the Forerunner 205 here). It was therefore with some excitement that I discovered that Garmin was releasing a new Forerunner, called the Forerunner 310XT (credit due to http://www.innoland.it/) - here's what it looks like:
As you can see, the Garmin Forerunner 310XT sports a sleeker new look when compared to the Forerunner 205/305 models, and in addition to the cosmetic makeover, it features the following:
1. Waterproof to 50m - I don't swim (except floating and doggy paddle), so this won't matter for me unless my dog pulls me into the Merrimack River after spotting a squirrel while trail-running. Also, I run in the rain with my Forerunner 205 all the time with no problem.
2. ~20hr Battery Life - no more running out of juice in the middle of a 15 miler, which, although rare and totally my fault for not recharging, is incredibly annoying.
3. Wireless Sync w/ Computer - I like this a lot!
4. Four Data Screens - vs. three in my 205.
5. Works with a Waterproof Heart Rate Monitor - this would be great for triathletes.
6. Syncs with a Small Foot-Pod - this will allow it to track distance on a treadmill (kind of like Nike+ I'd guess - the treadmill is really the only place I have continued to use Nike+ - you can see my review of it here).
The 310XT has created some positive buzz amongst triathletes on forums that I frequent given its waterproof design, and reviews have generally been positive. For more, check out the Garmin preview video on YouTube:
Here's a commercial Garmin has put out for the 310XT:
Looks interesting, and the tech junkie in me really wants one, but the price will have to come down a bit from the list of $349.99 before I ditch my reliable old 205.
Update 4-11-09: Looks like Garmin is dropping prices on the older Forerunner models. The Garmin Forerunner 305 (w/ heart rate monitor) can now be had on Amazon.com for around $160.00 (it fluctuates daily - see link below for exact price). The Forerunner 205 is only about ten dollars less (which makes me wonder why anyone would opt for that model now when the price is so close). I'm almost tempted to Ebay off my 205 and buy the 305 to take advantage of the heart rate tracking (though my wife might have a thing or two to say about that idea - she "tolerates" my love for new gadgets only to a certain degree). Anyway, you can read my detailed review of the Garmin Forerunner 205/305 GPS wristwatches by clicking here.
I have also posted a review of my experience with the Nike+ system here.
Below are links to various Garmin Forerunner products on Amazon. The last two are accessories that sync up with the Forerunners (check individual watch specs for compatibility). The Forerunner 405 is a smaller-profile watch with similar functions to the 205/305, though it is considerably more expensive.
Amazon offers free shipping for any order over $25.00, which would clearly apply to most of the items below.
|SALE: 25% or more off on select running shoes at Amazon.com|
|Save 10% on GPS watches, fitness electronics, and more at Clever Training! Use CODE: RUNBLOGXJT at checkout.|
Shares are like energy gels for bloggers - they power our writing!
We greatly appreciate your support!
You might also like these posts: